The temple marks one end of the Ancient Khmer Highway from Angkor. As the enclosed area of 1020x580m is comparable with that of Angkor Wat, Phimai must have been an important city in the Khmer empire. Most buildings are from the late 11th to the late 12th century, built in the Baphuon, Bayon and Angkor Wat style. However, even though the Khmer at that time were Hindu, the temple was built as a Buddhist temple, as Buddhism in the Khorat area dated back to the 7th century. Inscriptions name the site Vimayapura (which means city of Vimaya), which developed into the Thai name Phimai.
19 feb. 2011
Phimai historical park
The first inventory of the ruins was done in 1901 by the French geographer Etienne Aymonier. They were put under
governmental protection by announcement in the Government Gazette, Volume 53, section 34, from September 27, 1936.
Most of the restorations were done from 1964 to 1969 as a joint Thai-French project. The historical park, now managed by the Fine Arts Department,
was officially opened by Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on April 12, 1989.
All Photos on this blog, copyright Dj-ingen photography 2011. Click on photo to enlarge!